[vmfa] Re: Northern Pike - any other fisher experiences?

  • From: "Steven Johnson" <blinddog3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vmfa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:08:51 -0600

Hi Kevin,

The northern pike are a very popular fish around here, and in fact, are a
funtastic fish to catch through the ice.  This is the time of the year when
they are pre-spawn and we have some hogs that are pulled through the ice on the
Mississippi backwaters that can get as large as 25-30 lbs…gators they call
them!  They are n to invasive here, but we do  have some invasive species
around here including the Gobi, Silver Carp, and some other rough fish species.
 Unfortunately, they are here to stay, and the bigger question at this point is
how can they be effectively managed.

I still haven’t gotten out ice-fishing, but did read an article last week of a
jumbo black crappie caught near Minneapolis that tipped the scales at over 3.25
lbs and 19 inches long...that is a wall-hanger for sure!  However, it is also
not uncommon to see this size fish around here as they too are pre-spawn as we
prepare for ice-out.  Perch are also at that point, and the walleyes will soon
be ready as well.  Spring is a fantastic time of year to fish around these
parts.

Steve