[VISTA] Watch out with ADOBE ACROBAT READER 9 and Vista user roaming profiles

  • From: "Jim Kenzig" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: THIN <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, vista@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:01:31 -0400

I'm putting this out there everywhere I have a presence in hopes that Adobe
will get off it's butt and fix this problem. If you install Adobe 9 acrobat
reader on Windows Vista on a domain and use roaming profiles for users, be
it mandatory or not, Acrobat Reader crashes and will not run.  It gives
errors in modules annots.api and also msvc80.dll.
As soon as you give the user admin priveleges the program will run.  I've
tried turning off UAC, still broke, I've tried running adobe reader in
compatibility mode, still broke, I've tried running adobe as administrator
settings still broke. I've tried changing access on adobe folders to give
users full control, still broke.  Giving a user administrator priveleges is
NOT an acceptable solution.

I am not the only one having this issue there are posts all over the
internet including the below samples IN the adobe forums.

Don't install Adobe Acrobat 9 in a vista domain unless you want some super

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com

Windows Vista Links, list options
and info are available at: