[visionrehabtherapist] "recruitment" of future professionals questions

  • From: "McInnis, Janet (LARA)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:35:37 -0400

Hello,
I was just enjoying the Charles Bonnet Syndrome discussions, and often get
distracted by VisionAware and Maureen Duffy's writings.  Distracted, in a good
way, and then I saw a bunny, and then, and then I remembered that I wanted to
ask you guys something...sorry, so very very easily distracted!

I take credit for being part of a puzzle that brought two really great
professionals into the field, and know that I need to do more and start earlier.

I have access to some young, really great men, who are just wandering through
their first post years of high school graduation and are in college or the
Marines.

My nephew is pretty well focused on pursuing a dual masters in VRT and O&M,
after he graduates with a degree in Exercise Science.
He will be my third great professional into the field....just sayin'

But, with these other "kids" what can I say to hook?  I already have their
attention, more for mobility degree, but what can I suggest for undergrad?  I
believe I was told that to work in a VA Blind Center, an undergrad in human
services is now....required?  desired?

One guy lives in Colorado, always has, and is pursuing an outdoor education
degree, maybe. How cool would that be to combine it with a degree in our field?
 He has the smarts, the gentleness, and the love of nature, along with just
enough shyness that makes one on one training or small group instruction
appealing to him.

Another kid is a Marine, ready to go on mission, yet ready to return to
civilian life, go to college, and do something that will align nicely with what
he has done and will do, as a soldier.

And then there are some Moms, who as their kids have moved out of the home, are
looking for a second chance at a new career.  What might it cost and what are
the employment opportunities for someone in their 50s?

Any information you share I will pass along.  I know that there is a another
person out there that I cannot recall at the moment, but then again, there is
another bunny!!!

Have a wonderful day.  I mean this, when I say it, that this listserv inspires
me, and makes me proud when I need it the most.  Keep up all your goodly
thingies.

Janet McInnis