[visionrehabtherapist] Re: beginning knitting

  • From: Polly Abbott <polly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:21:04 -0600

Here is a handout from a knitting class I did a few years ago that you are
welcome to.  The beginning has instructions and the latter part has rehab tips
and internet resources from an article by Nancy Paskin and a few other places.
Not being a strong knitter myself, I taught in partnership with a professional
knitting instructor who just happens to have a husband blind from RP.  He
kindly allowed her to teach him to knit before doing the class to get her
verbal directions precise.  She said if her husband could learn, then anyone
could!  Everyone was successful in the class and enjoyed it so much that we
offered a crochet class too.

Polly Abbott CVRT, OMS
Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
Director of Rehabilitation Services
Guild for the Blind
180 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1700
Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 236-8569
www.guildfortheblind.org
We're moving!  Monday, February 28 is the official opening at the Guild's new
office at 65 E. Wacker Place, Suite 1010.  The new Consumer Product Center
opens on Thursday, March 3.