[visionrehabtherapist] ZoomText speech stumbles when typing

  • From: "McCall, Roberta (DELEG)" <mccallr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Toda, Shigeru (DELEG)" <todas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Norris, Scott (DELEG)" <NorrisS5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:29:10 -0400

Hi all,

I have a student who did some training using ZoomText with speech.  He has a
severe hearing impairment along with his blindness.  He types fast enough that
the speech couldn't keep up with the keystrokes and "stumbled" over itself
trying to speak the letters as he typed.  The teacher he was working with at
the time did not have any suggestions other than typing slower.

Does anyone know if there is a solution for increasing the speech speed (I
presume the teacher at the time did this).  The student is pretty set on having
something he can see as well as hear.  Vision pronosis is deteriorating (RP).

There may be other ways of dealing with this that I have not considered, and
any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roberta McCall, MA, CVRT
Michigan Commission for the Blind