[visionrehabtherapist] Book to explore: Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 22:47:51 -0400

Hello everyone,

I wanted to bring your attention to a book put out by Oliver Sacks.

It is called Hallucinations

And the reason I want you to look at it is, it explains Charles Bonett
syndrome, a problem that a lot of our students deal with but are embarrassed to
talk about.  It is the natural visualization of immages or objects that are not
actually present.

People see things that they well know aren't there.  But they do not want to
talk about it to their children, caregivers or even us sometimes because they
are afraid it is a sign of alzheimers or dementia.

Anyway do check it out.

For those using AT it is available from Bookshare.org.

Here is the details.
Brief Synopsis:
Hallucinations, for most people, imply madness. But there are many different
types of non-psychotic hallucination caused by various illnesses or injuries,
by intoxication--even, for many people, by falling sleep.

Long Synopsis:
Hallucinations, for most people, imply madness. But there are many different
types of non-psychotic hallucination caused by various illnesses or injuries,
by intoxication--even, for many people, by falling sleep. From the elementary
geometrical shapes that we see when we rub our eyes to the complex swirls and
blind spots and zigzags of a visual migraine, hallucination takes many forms.
At a higher level, hallucinations associated with the altered states of
consciousness that may come with sensory deprivation or certain brain disorders
can lead to religious epiphanies or conversions. Drawing on a wealth of
clinical examples from his own patients as well as historical and literary
descriptions, Oliver Sacks investigates the fundamental differences and
similarities of these many sorts of hallucinations, what they say about the
organization and structure of our brains, how they have influenced every
culture's folklore and art, and why the potential for hallucination is present
in us all.

ISBN  13:
9780307957252

Publisher:
Knopf Canada

Date of Addition:
11/06/12

Copyright Date:
2012

Copyrighted By:
Oliver Sacks

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.

The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
(pen name of Karen Blixen), author (1885-1962)