[visionegg] Re: thanks, but corrections already done and

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 13:32:26 -0400

It seems you are running into the same problems I warn about for linux in the "platforms" page of the Vision Egg website.

I think you have three options if you want to keep using the Vision Egg:

1) Switch to Windows 2000 or XP, or Mac OS X, which don't have these problems in my experience. (Mac OS X has no LPT, though.)

2) Compile your own linux kernel with low-latency and pre-emptible stuff (patches?) and hope it works. (See the Vision Egg "platforms" webpage for starters.) I don't have time to go down this route, but it would be great if someone did. I'm not sure it will end up working, though.

3) Don't do experiments in max priority mode. Discard any trials where your timing wasn't perfect.

Good luck!
Andrew

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 12:54 PM, Christoph Lehmann wrote:

still some serious problems. See my latest mail "goodbye": the code
there has already been changed and equals the approach (2) you
recommended.

to me it really seems to be a problem with max_priority under linux.
with many stimuli and the main-loop running more than 8 minutes, I got
sometimes breaks up to 15seconds, while I hear my harddisk doing lot of
work. But with the changed code, I know now, that it is not the viewport
draw staff, this runs fine now, the breaks are at random anywhere and
must be due to some non-visionegg processes, not suppressed by
max_priority.

and: even if this could be fixed with max_priority I still have the
problem, that I don't get any mouse-events while running in max_priority
(I sent a mail to the SDL group, as you told me, but nobody answered me,
sniff). And: setting max_priority to max_priority - x (x between 1 and
98) doesn't enable to receive mouse-events.

thanks for help. and, nice you are back, Andrew..my hope

christoph

--
Christoph Lehmann <lehmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
University Hospital of Clinical Psychiatry