[visionegg] Re: synchronising to VBLANK

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:56:53 +1030

Hi Christophe,

I think it's most likely that these problems are due to a now-fixed bug in the Vision Egg. The Vision Egg was checking if the platform was linux by doing an "if sys.platform == 'linux2'". However, it seems your system defines sys.platform as "linux-i386". So, I've changed all the places where the check is done to "if sys.platform[:5] == 'linux'". That should fix the problem.

You can get this from CVS now or wait until 0.9.4 is released (the very near future).

This is probably the source of your VBLANK problems -- nVidia is the main brand of video cards I've tested under linux and it all works perfectly.

Cheers!
Andrew

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 02:40 AM, Pallier Christophe wrote:

Hello All,

I am trying to synchronize to vertical retrace (VBLANK).
The documentation of the nvidia linux driver says to set
the variable __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK,

unfortunately this does not seem to have any effect:
visionegg still reports:

2003-02-25 16:02:01 (5549) WARNING: Although the configuration variable
VISIONEGG_SYNC_SWAP is set, unable to detect or automatically
synchronize
buffer swapping with vertical retrace. May be possible by manually
adjusting video drivers. (Look for "Enable Vertical Sync" or similar.)
If buffer swapping is not synchronized, frame by frame control will
not be possible. Because of this, you will probably get a warning
about
calculated frames per second different than specified.

Has anybody managed to get VBLANK synchro on a nvidia GeForce card?

Also, when trying to run in "max priority", I get the message: RuntimeError: Cannot change priority. Unknown platform 'linux-i386'

Best,

Christophe Pallier www.pallier.org