[visionegg] Re: Error: ImportError: No module named distutils.core

  • From: Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:09:27 -0700

It looks like you've got Python 2.3.3 (good), which is somehow missing the distutils module (bad). This is strange because distutils is part of the standard library. I fail to see the logic behind not including it with any installation of Python, but I'm sure the debian folks have their reasons.

Installing Python 1.5 distutils won't help Python 2.3.x.

Does your debian package manager have something like "python23-distutils"?

I don't have access to a debian box at the moment, so I can't check on this.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Cheers!
Andrew

On Apr 13, 2004, at 8:20 AM, Sven Garbade wrote:

Hi all,

I've just downloaded the visionegg sources and want to install it, but
got an error. Running

$ ./check-config.py
check-config.py for Vision Egg 0.9.5a2.
[2003/09/19 03:54:27 CVS revision 1.19]
Beginning configuration check.
Could not import the VisionEgg module.

This is probably because it is not yet installed.

    Try installing by running 'python setup.py install' from the
    command line (as root if necessary).

    The exception raised was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./check-config.py", line 99, in ?
    import VisionEgg
ImportError: No module named VisionEgg
VisionEgg not installed (or other VisionEgg import problems)

Continuing with prerequisites check.

Version checklist:

Python version 2.3.3 (OK)
extra Python info: (#2, Feb 24 2004, 09:29:20) [GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)]
Numeric version 23.1 (OK)
PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") version 1.5.6b1 (Untested)
pygame version 1.6 (OK)
Python Imaging Library (package "Image") version 1.1.4 (OK)

Optional module(s):

Pyro version 3.3 (OK)

is ok, but then

$ python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 54, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

I've installed python1.5-distutils, but maybe it has another name on my
system (found "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/distutils/core.py").
System: Debian Testing on Intel.