[visionary] Fw: Mark's Questions from 1/10/03 conference call

  • From: "Carol Boyer" <ccboyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:16:29 -0800

Dear Visionary Colleagues,

Apologies for the delay in responding to Mark's questions listed below.

 1. Who brings people together?

 Groups:
There is still no strong group that the media or even the 54 million people
with disabilities can state is the "voice" of the disability minority. (For
example, the NAACP would be one strong voice, although not the only, for
African Americans, and NOW could be considered by many as one strong voice
for women activists.) We could point to AAPD as an upcoming "voice" for
disability issues, but because the disability movement is divided up into
various disability groups, we cannot say which group brings people together.
Heck, there are three, national groups for individuals who are blind--ACB,
AFB, and NFB that don't always agree.

 Individuals:
With Justin Dart's passing, we have no strong individual leader. And even
when Justin was here, most of the 54 million Americans with disabilities did
not even know who he was. I'm sure that every African American knew or knows
about the Rev. Martin Luther King's impact on civil rights issues, let alone
every American and many outside the United States.

 2. How does our movement measure the results of our efforts?

 Our movement are those individuals and organizations mainly based in
Washington and perhaps the ADAPT group. My belief is that we measure the
results of our efforts through many levels and what the answers are the
questions posed below:

 * Media portrayal--do they "get" disability right? (pity, challenge, or
just a person with a disability?)

 * Politics--have systems changed at the federal and/or state levels to
change the lives of people with disabilities for better or worse?
 Examples: Olmstead is on the books, but what is really going on with
Olmstead implementation? MiCASSA has not moved much. Medicaid reform--there
is such variation  in how various states interpret what is "medically
necessary" for individuals with  disabilities. IDEA (similar system in that
various school districts even within the
 same state provide better or worse implementation). The One-Stops'
accessibility (physically and programmatically) vary within and outside
states. The list goes on and on.

 Bottom line: There are numerous federal programs being implemented at the
state level but are not always accessible or marginally accessible.

 * Employment--can we really definitively answer the question on whether
employment is better now for people with disabilities than it was before the
ADA? My limited- research response is: "it varies" from employer to
employer. Some want to do the right thing, some don't know what the right
thing is, and others don't want to do the right thing even if they might be
in violation of state and federal laws.

 * Society--How does society view disability? The Society for Disability
Studies has many, many papers written on this topic? Many pwds are still
seen as we are in the media-- people to be pitied (felt sorry for), admired
(for overcoming such great challenges either physical or mental), and very
often not looked at as one's neighbor, co-
worker, etc., with the same day-to-day joys and sorrows and everyday
challenges we all face--relationships, work, teenagers, bad traffic, etc.

3. Where are model programs (DME and computer recycling, universal design,
HCBS, rural transportation, inclusive education, GOTV, recreation, Arts,
etc.)

 DME & Recycling
Contact Nancy Meidenbauer at the RESNA Technical Assistance Project at:
nmeidenbauer@xxxxxxxxx

UD
 RERC on Universal Design and the Built Environment
 North Carolina State University
 School of Design
 Box 8613
 Raleigh, NC 27695-8613
 800/647-6777 (V/TTY); 919/515-3023 (Fax); http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud

RERC on Universal Design and the Built Environment
Center for Inclusive Design & Environmental Access (IDEA)
State University of New York (SUNY)/Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14214
716/829-3483; 716/829-3256 (Fax); http://www.arch.buffalo.edu/~idea

Rural Transportation

 Press Release on the New Rural Transportation Access Project (just awarded
in 2002)
http://iod.unh.edu/press-release/RTAN.pdf at www.iod.unh.edu

There is another Rural Research and Training Center at the University of
Montana/Missoula at http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/rtcrural

 Arts

 VSA Arts http://www.vsarts.org/

of our individual goals.  Everybody, please respond to these questions.