[virusinfo] W32/Mytob-DO

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:15:22 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Mytob-DO
Aliases: W32.Mytob.DO@mm
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 10 June 2005

Sophos has issued protection for W32/Mytob-DO.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received no reports from
users affected by this worm. However, we have issued this
advisory following enquiries to our support department from
customers.

Customers using EM Library, Enterprise Console, PureMessage or
any of our Sophos small business solutions will be automatically
protected at their next scheduled update.

Information about W32/Mytob-DO can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobdo.html

This section is for technical experts who want to know more.
W32/Mytob-DO is a mass-mailing worm and IRC backdoor Trojan for the Windows
platform.
W32/Mytob-DO spreads to other network computers by exploiting common buffer
overflow vulnerabilites, including: RPC-DCOM (MS04-012) and LSASS (MS04-011)
and by copying itself to network shares protected by weak passwords.
W32/Mytob-DO runs continuously in the background, providing a backdoor server
which allows a remote intruder to gain access and control over the computer via
IRC channels.
When first run W32/Mytob-DO copies itself to the Windows system folder as
taskgmr.exe and w32dnsl.exe and creates the following registry entries:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
WINTASKS
taskgmr.exe
W32/Mytob-DO copies itself to the root folder as:
american_idols.scr
funny_pics.scr
my_bikini_pics.scr
and drops a file called hellmsn.exe (detected by Sophos as W32/Mytob-D) in the
same location. This component attempts to spread the worm by sending files
through Windows Messenger to all online contacts.
W32/Mytob-DO also includes functionality to silently download, install and run
new software.
W32/Mytob-DO modifies the HOSTS file, changing the URL-to-IP mappings for
selected websites, therefore preventing normal access to these sites. The new
HOSTS file will typically contain the following:
127.0.0.1 www.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 securityresponse.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 symantec.com
127.0.0.1 www.sophos.com
127.0.0.1 sophos.com
127.0.0.1 www.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 f-secure.com
127.0.0.1 www.f-secure.com
127.0.0.1 kaspersky.com
127.0.0.1 www.avp.com
127.0.0.1 www.kaspersky.com
127.0.0.1 avp.com
127.0.0.1 www.networkassociates.com
127.0.0.1 networkassociates.com
127.0.0.1 www.ca.com
127.0.0.1 ca.com
127.0.0.1 mast.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 my-etrust.com
127.0.0.1 www.my-etrust.com
127.0.0.1 download.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 dispatch.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 secure.nai.com
127.0.0.1 nai.com
127.0.0.1 www.nai.com
127.0.0.1 update.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 updates.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 us.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 customer.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 rads.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 trendmicro.com
127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.trendmicro.com
W32/Mytob-DO is capable of spreading through email. Email sent by W32/Mytob-DO
has the following properties:
Subject line:
Good day
hello
Mail Delivery System
Mail Transaction Failed
Server Report
Status
Error
Message text:
'Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available.'
'The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary
attachment.'
'The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as
a binary attachment.'
'The original message was included as an attachment.'
'Here are your banks documents.'
<random characters>
The attached file consists of a base name followed by the extentions PIF, SCR,
EXE or ZIP. The worm may optionally create double extensions where the first
extension is DOC, TXT or HTM and the final extension is PIF, SCR, EXE or ZIP.
W32/Mytob-DO harvests email addresses from files on the infected computer and
from the Windows address book.
The following patches for the operating system vulnerabilities exploited by
W32/Mytob-DO can be obtained from the Microsoft website:
LSASS (MS04-011) security vulnerability
RPC-DCOM (MS04-012) security vulnerability

The W32/Mytob-DO virus identity file (IDE) includes detection for:

W32/Mytob-AR
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobar.html
Troj/Mirjack-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmirjacka.html
Troj/Dloader-OO
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdloaderoo.html
W32/Rbot-AFA
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotafa.html
Troj/Tometa-B
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojtometab.html

Customers with 3.xx or lower versions of Sophos Anti-Virus,
who are not running EM Library, can manually download the IDE
for W32/Mytob-DO from:

http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mytob-do.ide

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/363.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member