[virusinfo] W32/Mytob-BU

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:45:16 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Mytob-BU
Aliases: WORM_MYTOB.FO, W32.Mytob.EY@mm, W32/Mytob.gen@MM virus,
Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.bi
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 22 June 2005

Sophos has issued protection for W32/Mytob-BU.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received a small number of
reports of this worm from the wild.

Customers using EM Library, Enterprise Console, PureMessage or
any of our Sophos small business solutions will be automatically
protected at their next scheduled update.

Information about W32/Mytob-BU can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobbu.html

W32/Mytob-BU is a mass-mailing worm with backdoor functionality.
W32/Mytob-BU runs continuously in the background, providing a backdoor server
which allows a remote intruder to gain access and control over the computer via
IRC channels, including the ability to download and execute files on the
infected computer.
W32/Mytob-BU can spread by sending itself as an email attachment to email
addresses it harvests from the infected computer, either as an attachment with
a double-extension or as a zip file containing a file with a double-extension.
W32/Mytob-BU avoids sending emails to addresses containing certain strings in
them.
W32/Mytob-BU processes the emails it has harvested by splitting them into name
and domain. Once it has sent itself to the emails it has harvested, it uses a
predefined list of names with the harvested domains. W32/Mytob-BU spoofs the
sender, sending emails as if from one of the following at the same domain as
the recipient:
support
administrator
mail
service
admin
info
register
webmaster
For example if sending itself to name@xxxxxxxxxxx, W32/Mytob-BU might send the
email as if from admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Emails sent by the worm have characteristics from the following:
Subject line:
Your password has been updated
Your password has been successfully updated
You have successfully updated your password
Your new account password is approved
Your Account is Suspended
*DETECTED* Online User Violation
Your Account is Suspended For Security Reasons
Warning Message: Your services near to be closed.
Important Notification
Members Support
Security measures
Email Account Suspension
Notice of account limitation
<random characters>
Message text - a formatted version of one of the following:
Dear user <recipient's username>,
You have successfully updated the password of your <recipient's domain>
account.
If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with your
account, please contact <recipient's domain> customer service at: <spoofed
sender address>
Thank you for using <recipient's domain>!
The <recipient's domain> Support Team <BR>
+++ <recipient's domain> Antivirus - www.<recipient's domain>
Dear user <recipient's username>,
It has come to our attention that your <recipient's domain> User Profile ( x )
records are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
Thank you for using <recipient's domain>!
The <recipient's domain> Support Team
+++ <recipient's domain> Antivirus - www.<recipient's domain>
Dear <recipient's username> Member,
We have temporarily suspended your email account <recipient's domain>.
This might be due to either of the following reasons:
1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription due
to an internal error within our processors.
See the details to reactivate your <recipient's domain> account.
Sincerely,The <recipient's domain> Support Team
+++ <recipient's domain> Antivirus - www.<recipient's domain>
Dear <recipient's domain> Member,
Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages
during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your
online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.
If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your
membership.
Virtually yours,
The <recipient's domain> Support Team
+++ <recipient's domain> Antivirus - www.<recipent's domain>
Attachment name:
updated-password
email-password
new-password
password
approved-password
account-password
accepted-password
important-details
account-details
email-details
account-info
document
readme
account-report
First extension (of attachment or of file inside zip):
doc
htm
txt
Second extension (of attachment or of file inside zip):
pif
scr
exe
cmd
bat
If the attachment is a zip file it will have the same base name as the
double-extension file inside.
Example attachment names include document.txt.pif and information.doc.cmd,
usually with a large number of spaces between the extensions.
W32/Mytob-BU copies itself to the Window system folder with the filename
windsns.exe and sets the following registry entries to run itself on system
startup:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
WINDOWS SYSTEM Dns
windsns.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\
WINDOWS SYSTEM Dns
windsns.exe
W32/Mytob-BU sets the following registry entries, disabling the automatic
startup of other software:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess
Start
4
W32/Mytob-BU attempts to terminate a large number of processes related to
security and anti-virus programs including REGEDIT.EXE, MSCONFIG.EXE and
NETSTAT.EXE.
W32/Mytob-BU modifies the Windows hosts file in order to block access to the
following security-related websites:
127.0.0.1 avp.com
127.0.0.1 ca.com
127.0.0.1 customer.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 dispatch.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 download.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 ebay.com
127.0.0.1 f-secure.com
127.0.0.1 kaspersky-labs.com
127.0.0.1 kaspersky.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com
127.0.0.1 mast.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 moneybookers.com
127.0.0.1 my-etrust.com
127.0.0.1 nai.com
127.0.0.1 networkassociates.com
127.0.0.1 pandasoftware.com
127.0.0.1 paypal.com
127.0.0.1 rads.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 secure.nai.com
127.0.0.1 securityresponse.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 sophos.com
127.0.0.1 symantec.com
127.0.0.1 trendmicro.com
127.0.0.1 update.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 updates.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 us.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 virustotal.com
127.0.0.1 www.amazon.ca
127.0.0.1 www.amazon.co.uk
127.0.0.1 www.amazon.com
127.0.0.1 www.amazon.fr
127.0.0.1 www.avp.com
127.0.0.1 www.ca.com
127.0.0.1 www.ebay.com
127.0.0.1 www.f-secure.com
127.0.0.1 www.grisoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.kaspersky.com
127.0.0.1 www.mcafee.com
127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.moneybookers.com
127.0.0.1 www.my-etrust.com
127.0.0.1 www.nai.com
127.0.0.1 www.networkassociates.com
127.0.0.1 www.pandasoftware.com
127.0.0.1 www.paypal.com
127.0.0.1 www.sophos.com
127.0.0.1 www.symantec.com
127.0.0.1 www.trendmicro.com
127.0.0.1 www.viruslist.com
127.0.0.1 www.virustotal.com
Sophos's anti-virus products include Genotype ? detection technology, which can
proactively protect against new threats without requiring an update. Sophos
customers have been protected against W32/Mytob-BU (detected as W32/MyDoom-Gen)
since version 3.94.

The W32/Mytob-BU virus identity file (IDE) includes detection for:

Troj/Clsldr-D
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojclsldrd.html
Dial/Ployb-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/dialployba.html
W32/Rbot-AGF
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotagf.html
W32/Rbot-AGD
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotagd.html
Troj/Animoo-B
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojanimoob.html
Troj/Bankhof-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbankhofa.html
W32/Rbot-BAA
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotbaa.html
Troj/LdPinch-BM
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojldpinchbm.html

Customers with 3.xx or lower versions of Sophos Anti-Virus,
who are not running EM Library, can manually download the IDE
for W32/Mytob-BU from:

http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mytob-bu.ide

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/363.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member