[virusinfo] Re: Sophos Anti-Virus IDE alert: Troj/Bancb-Fam

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:42:36 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: Troj/Bancb-Fam
Type: Trojan
Date: 30 June 2005

Sophos has issued protection for Troj/Bancb-Fam.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received a small number of
reports of this Trojan from the wild.

Customers using EM Library, Enterprise Console, PureMessage or
any of our Sophos small business solutions will be automatically
protected at their next scheduled update.

Note: The IDE issued for Troj/Bancb-Fam at 17:41 GMT on 3 June
also contained detection for Troj/Banca-Fam, Troj/Bancos-Fam and
Troj/Bancor-Fam. This IDE has now been updated to enhance
detection of Troj/Bancb-Fam, Troj/Bancos-Fam and
Troj/Bancor-Fam, and to include detection for Troj/Bancc-Fam and
Troj/Bancd-Fam.

Information about Troj/Bancb-Fam can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancbfam.html

Troj/Bancb-Fam detects members of the Bancban family of Trojans. Members of
this family typically attempt to steal confidential information when a user
visits banking-related websites.
Trojans of this family typically monitor URLs entered into Internet Explorer.
When certain websites are visited, the Trojan may display a fake user interface
in order to trick the user into entering confidential details. Stolen
information is sent by email to a remote user.
Typically a registry entry is created in order to run the Trojan on system
startup:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
<Trojan filename excluding extension>
<Path to Trojan>

The Troj/Bancb-Fam virus identity file (IDE) includes detection for:

Troj/Banca-Fam
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancafam.html
Troj/Bancos-Fam
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancosfam.html
Troj/Bancor-Fam
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancorfam.html
Troj/Bancc-Fam
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbanccfam.html
Troj/Bancd-Fam
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancdfam.html

Customers with 3.xx or lower versions of Sophos Anti-Virus,
who are not running EM Library, can manually download the IDE
for Troj/Bancb-Fam from:

http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/bancbfam.ide

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/363.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member