[virusinfo] Security update for QuickTime 7.0 - 6-03-05

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:49:35 -0700

From; Panda Oxygen3:

"Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable"
     Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784) English author, critic & lexicographer

                - Security update for QuickTime 7.0 -
      Oxygen3 24h-365d, by Panda Software (http://www.pandasoftware.com)

Madrid, June 3, 2005 - A vulnerability has been detected in Apple's
multimedia player QuickTime 7.0, which could allow an attacker to obtain
personal user data from affected systems. All users of QuickTime 7.0 for
Mac OS-X are advised to update to QuickTime 7.0.1.

The flaw lies in the possibility to encrust a malicious Quartz Composer
object in a QuickTime movie. If a user views the movie with an affected
version of QuickTime, the object will be able to read local system data and
send it to a remote web location, where an attacker can retrieve it.

QuickTime 7.0.1 for Mac OS-X 10.3.9 and later correct this vulnerability
and can be downloaded from
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime701.html

The original security advisory released by Apple is available at:

NOTE: The address above may not show up on your screen as a single line.
This would prevent you from using the link to access the web page. If this
happens, just use the 'cut' and 'paste' options to join the pieces of the
URL.

The 5 viruses most frequently detected by Panda ActiveScan, Panda
Software's free online scanner:
1)Qhost.gen; 2)Netsky.P; 3)Mhtredir.gen; 4)Sdbot.ftp; 5)Mitglieder.DC.

To contact with Panda Software, please visit:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/about/contact/

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member