[virusinfo] Alert! Virus W32.Sober.F@mm Moderate

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:12:47 -0700

From; SYMANTEC SECURITY ALERT
 Alert! W32.Sober.F@mm

WARNING:             W32.Sober.F@mm
Threat level:        Category 3, Moderate (scale of 1-5)
Type:                Worm
Protection Updates:  April 4, 2004 or later (via LiveUpdate)

 What is W32.Sober.F@mm  and how does it affect me?

W32.Sober.F@mm is a variant of W32.Sober.E@mm that spreads itself as
an email attachment.

As of April 4, 2004, due to an increase in submission rate, Symantec
Security Response has upgraded this threat to a Category 3 from a
Category 2.

The "Subject" and "Body" of the email vary and are written in German or
English.

Notes:
=B7 Symantec Consumer products that support the Worm Blocking
  functionality automatically detect this threat as it attempts to
  spread.
=B7 The worm does not have a static MD5 hash value.
=B7 Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the
  infections of W32.Sober.F@mm.

For more technical information, refer to the W32.Sober.F@mm  writeup at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sober.f@xxxxxxx

                 WHAT ACTION CAN I TAKE FROM HERE?

** Run LiveUpdate **

   Symantec Security Response posted virus definitions to protect
   against this threat on March 26, 2004 (via LiveUpdate). All users
   of Norton AntiVirus who do not have up-to-date virus protection
   should immediately run LiveUpdate for protection from W32.Sober.F@mm .

   Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the
   Norton AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site:

   http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

   Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton
   AntiVirus users to regularly download virus
   definitions in order to protect against future
   threats. For more information on how to run
   LiveUpdate, please go here:

   http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999121613163206

** Upgrade Customers **

   If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus
   and would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2004,
   please go here:

   http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/upgrade_center.html

  Scan for Viruses. Free!

Free Service.
Check your system online using Symantec's award-
winning virus detection technology to determine if it is
infected by any known virus or Trojan horse.
Click Here -> http://www.symantec.com/securitycheck

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member