[virusinfo] Alert! Virus W32.Netsky.X@mm Moderate

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:28:20 -0700

From; SYMANTEC SECURITY ALERT Alert! W32.Netsky.X@mm

WARNING:             W32.Netsky.X@mm
Threat level:        Category 3, Moderate (scale of 1-5)
Type:                Worm
Protection Updates:  April 20, 2004 or later (via LiveUpdate)

          What is W32.Netsky.X@mm  and how does it affect me?

As of April 20, 2004, due to an increased rate of submissions, Symantec
Security Response has upgraded W32.Netsky.X@mm to a Category 3 level
threat from a Category 2 threat.

The W32.Netsky.X@mm worm has the following characteristics:

=B7It is a variant of W32.Netsky.W@mm that scans for email addresses on
 all non-CD-ROM drives on the infected computer.

=B7It uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to the email addresses that
 it finds.

=B7The From line of the email is spoofed, and its Subject, Message, and
 Attachment vary. The attachment has a .pif extension.This threat is
 compressed with tELock.

For more technical information, refer to the W32.Netsky.X@mm  writeup at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.x@xxxxxxx

                 WHAT ACTION CAN I TAKE FROM HERE?

** Run LiveUpdate **

   Symantec Security Response posted virus definitions to protect
   against this threat on April 20, 2004 (via LiveUpdate). All users
   of Norton AntiVirus who do not have up-to-date virus protection
   should immediately run LiveUpdate for protection from W32.Netsky.X@mm .

   Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the
   Norton AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site:

   http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

   Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton
   AntiVirus users to regularly download virus
   definitions in order to protect against future
   threats. For more information on how to run
   LiveUpdate, please go here:

   http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999121613163206

*  Scan for Viruses. Free! *

Free Service. Check your system online using Symantec's award-
winning virus detection technology to determine if it is
infected by any known virus or Trojan horse.
Click Here -> http://www.symantec.com/securitycheck

Subscribe to the Symantec Security Alert to find out about the
latest worms, viruses and Trojans. Click here to subscribe:
http://nct.symantecstore.com/virusalert

Copyright (c) 1995-2004 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.
Other brands and products are trademarks of their
respective holder(s).

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member