[vip_committees] updated: Dining in the dark

  • From: Blaine Clark <thelight9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hank Bloomberg Chapter List <vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:08:21 -0400

Robin and I saw the manager of Aussies and gave her our request and a packet of information soon after last month's meeting.

Saturday, October 9th is good. We're set for gathering at 6:00 PM.

Agenda;
We tried to get an introduction from State Representative Matt Gabler. We finally heard from his office that he's not available. However, his assistant is available, and is willing to stand in for Mr. Gabler. His Father-in-law is blind and lives with the assistant's family. I've included Mr. Kenawell's email at the end of this email. I have to set up an appointment with him yet.

UPDATE: I spoke with Mr. Kenawell, I mis-understood him. He is not a speaker and doesn't wish to speak. He would like to attend however. Who else should we contact if we want a speaker?

We should put together an introduction of Hank Bloomberg chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind and a bit of what we've accomplished and helped to accomplish as well as what we hope to accomplish, and a few words about White Cane Day.

Who (Past, Present, Future).

What (Past, Present, Future).

When (Past, Present, Future).

Where (Past, Present, Future).

Why (Past, Present, Future).

How (That's why we're going public.)

The meal will begin around 6:30.

Aussies will take the reservation calls at 503-8303 and the manager will make a menu selection of chicken, pasta or fish, with possibly steak to substitute for fish if she can find a decent deal. Let's hold off on any menu plans of our own until Mo has a chance to work things out, or just let her arrange the menu completely? They will also offer their normal side dishes and desert menu.

We're currently set up to collect 4 to 5 dollars per plate profit. Should we ask for more?

Ideas, changes, help! We now need to make contact with the news papers and radio and TV, so let's make this good!

Draft of advertisement;

Hank Bloomberg Chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind is hosting a Dining in the Dark exercise. This an awareness raising event, and a fund raising event. This is an attempt to alert the general public in this area to the fact that eating does not require that one sees the meal on the plate to enjoy it. This will also be a learning exercise to allow the sighted population to 'see' what it's like to function as a blind person while in a restaurant from ordering to being served and then to the last wipe of the napkin. Reservations are required.

There will be a presentation at 6:00 PM, Saturday, October 9th, starting with a few words from Mr. Richard Kenawell, Office Manager and Legislative Assistant to State Representative Matt Gabler, then a few words from one of the members explaining who and what we are, followed by all who are attending donning sleep-masks. The meal will be served at around 6:30 PM. There will a waiver stating that you are responsible for your own laundry and that slips and spills and other accidents can occur while you are blindfolded. Oh yes, Dinning in the Dark actually involves eating and drinking while blindfolded.

Who:

Hank Bloomberg Chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind.
P.O. Box 945,
DuBois, PA. 15801.

What:

Dining In The Dark.
A fun raising, awareness raising and fund raising event by vision impaired members of society.

When:

Saturday, October 9, 2010, which is National White Cane Day, the last day of National White Cane Week.
Presentations given at 6:00 PM. by members of the Hank Bloomberg Chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind.
Dinner served around 6:30 PM.

Where:

Aussies
42 South Brady St.
DuBois, Pennsylvania. 15801.
Call for reservations and information at 814-503-8303.

Why:

Why not?

How:

Do we want an after-diner activity or a before-diner activity? Question and Answer time, a game or two? Hmm, how about Dinner and a mystery ... what really was that side dish??
Do we want to organize and invite people to other activities during the fall and winter?
Do we want to conduct a survey asking what the people expected and what they'd like to see next time and what other activities they would be interested in attending?
Do we want to see about getting together with the Staff at Aussies and train them on serving blind people?
Do we want to roam and mingle and chat and offer assistance during the meal, or let them eat in peace?

RSVP Please. Need some ideas to finalize this real soon.

Here's what Sandy sent;

You mentioned bringing in a bit more money. Maybe you could put a box of give a ways like the large paperclips and a donation jar? Would they allow you to sell Sheetz coupons? Maybe a merchant would donate a door prize or two. Maybe Aussies- a free meal for two? I mentioned to Susan that you might think about inviting the Clearfield County Commissioners, maybe they might take some interest in a special interest group in their area?

- To post on the mailing list, simply send email to vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to vip_committees-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at //www.freelists.org/list/vip_committees. You can also unsubscribe, turn on and off Vacation Hold and set your preference for a once-a-day digest or to receive each message as it is posted on the list page. - Online, searchable archives of the list are available at //www.freelists.org/archive/vip_committees Each list's archive is automatically updated as new messages come in. - There's a FAQ at //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq.