[vip_committees] information on washers and other accessible appliances

  • From: "Susan Frazier" <frazier.tech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:39:42 -0400

Bosch Appliances

In past Access World Issues from the American Foundation for The Blind
Home Appliances section the accessability of Bosch/s line of laundry
equipment was discussed.

In the Spring issue of Home Appliance section improved accessibility of
Bosch laundry was once again mentioned as shown below.

Also mentioned is an oven in the wall from Bosch.

"Recently, Bosch has expanded their new design to include its Vision
300 and Vision 800 washers and companion dryers. The new control panels
have far fewer buttons than is customary in today's high-tech laundry
equipment.

The controls on both washers and dryers resemble the traditional
controls of yesterday's washing machines in that they use a single
rotary control with click settings to select both fabric type and
washing temperature. Bosch appliances may not be as widely available as
some other brands. In a recent phone conversation, we found the Bosch
representative to be very well informed and able to discuss the
behavior of the appliance controls in detail. Bosch can be reached at
1-800-944-2904, Monday through Friday from 5

a. m. to 6 p. m. PST.

Bosch 2425SS

Oven, oven in the wall, which is the most accessible of all? While
accessibility of free-standing ranges remains elusive, a third option
for those who want a wall or under-counter oven may be available. As
with the Vision laundry equipment mentioned above and in the November
2009 AccessWorld, Bosch has replaced touch controls with much more
traditional rotary controls. In the case of the Bosch oven 2425SS, two
very tactile rotary knobs are used to select baking options and
temperature. On the upper left face of the oven, an easy-to-feel 13
position turn knob selects among bake, broil, roast, convection, and a
number of other "preset" options. A small but very distinct pointer has
a contrasting texture.

When a specific option is selected, the temperature is set to a default
associated with the preset. For example, selecting "bake" results in a
350 degree setting, whereas "broil" is associated with a 475 degree
setting. The oven temperature can be adjusted with a similar rotary
knob on the right-hand side of the control area. Both controls are very
easy to discern, and clicks indicate changes in the control position.

According to Bosch, these temperatures can be reprogrammed by the user
if the factory defaults are not to the customer's liking. We plan to
test the product at a Bosch showroom to confirm our optimistic
assessment. If the oven performs as we hope, it joins the Frigidaire
Pro and GE wall ovens at the top of our list for first consideration in
this category."

You can read more by visiting:

http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw100606&select=1#1

or the web address below:

http://www.afb.org/Section.asp?SectionID=4&TopicID=380

Seize the day!
Susan Frazier
frazier.tech@xxxxxxxxxxx
quellavan@xxxxxxxxx

 My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes, and
oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light!
Edna St. Vincent Millay