[vietnameseblindtechinfo] Fw: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 10, 2005

  • From: "Vy Pham" <thaovyngu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vietnamese blind technology" <vietnameseblindtechinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:06:14 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Martineau" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tttt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 1:44 AM
Subject: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 10, 2005

Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 10, 2005

The rss feed for Tidbits contained some errors.  Thanks to a reader
pointing out that it wasn't working, those errors have, I believe, been
removed.  This is a great way to keep up with Tidbits, especially if you
are among the growing number who cannot receive the e-mail version.

With the articles being added this week, thirteen audio articles are
available to Sound Computing subscribers.  They'll eventually have access
to fifty in this series.  If you'd like to know what is available at
present, send a blank message to sc13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In article 11, we learn to use the Notetab regular expression engine to
make braille documents that are better suited for display on a portable
braille device.

Window-Eyes version 5.5 has been officially released.  It includes full
support for the popular Firefox web browser and for Microsoft Excel, the
ability to run Window-Eyes from a usb drive, a new menu design to make the
program easier to learn, and smooth interaction with baloon tooltips among
other features.
http://www.gwmicro.com/window-eyes

The current issue of The Voice of the Nation's Blind contains a review of
the Braille Sense from Gw Micro.
http://www.voiceofthenationsblind.org/articles/175/braille-sense-a-comparative-evaluation

You can read an article from Poker News entitled Blind Man's Bluff: Online
Poker for the Blind  at
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/11/online-poker-blind.htm

Scanner manufacturer Plustek has launched the Book Reader, advertised as
the only reading peripheral device under $700 that is devoted entirely for
book reading by the visually impaired.
http://www.plustek.com/bat

In Sound Computing, we'll be focusing a lot on TotalRecorder, a program
that lets you record streaming audio for later listening. In article 12,
we learn how to solve a problem which occurred when one user wanted to
record a site that was hard to get to using TotalRecorder's browser. We'll
learn to use a simple command-line tool called Send which has other
potential uses.

Feedster lets you search blogs, newsgroups and podcasts.
http://podcasts.feedster.com/

EASI will broadcast three sessions from the Accessing Higher Ground
conference on 11 November: Accessibility of Online Resources in Academic
Libraries, Panel: Current Trends in Electronic Books, and Library e-Journal
Accessibility - A Usability Study. Proceedings begin at 16:15 GMT. on
that day, a link to the broadcasts will be found on the EASI home page,
http://easi.cc/
If you register beforehand, you can receive a link to recordings:
http://easi.cc/forms/ahg.htm

The Digital Books for Visually Impaired Persons Blog has been launched to
discuss how to get more material into digital formats
http://shrikantdtb.blogspot.com/2005/11/digital-books-for-visually-

OPAL (Online Programming for All Libraries) has two educational programs
coming up: On Thursday, 17 November at 01:00 GMT: Shopping Online: Click
and Ship, provides tips and tricks for shopping as well as for avoiding
pitfalls. Friday, 18 November at 19:00 GMT: The Mouse Pad Traveler: Using
the Internet to Plan and Purchase Your Travels, will discuss techniques for
planning travel on the net and for doing so safely. Archives will be
available.
http://www.opal-online.org/progschrono.htm

To find the best current prices for memory and flash cards and memory
sticks, a good place to visit is
www.dealram.com
Their affiliated site
www.dealnews.com
lets you receive alerts for deals for a variety of items and keeps running
tabs on bargains.

In Sound Computing Article 13, we look at the JAWS for windows Speech and
Sound Manager and how it can make computer use more efficient and enjoyable.

Version 5.11 of Goldwave, the inexpensive and popular sound editor, is now
available, featuring some new features and some fixes.
www.goldwave.com

A mailing list subscriber asked where one can download sound effects, and
one answer given was
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

The latest version of the popular voice chat program Skype, at
http://www.skype.com/
is said to be accessible with JFW.  This is version 1.4.0.84.

Visit the Tidbits page at www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where you
can subscribe to the rss feed and grab back issues. All that welcome
information for future issues can come to me at dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the news for this week.

To leave the list, send a blank message to tttt-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.

If you have a news item, handy web page or piece of software you want to recommend, concerning adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the blind, or Internet audio, send it to me for inclusion next time.

Inclusion of information in tttt does not imply any endorsement of products or services mentioned, or even that the content of the announcement is accurate. (Often, I do not verify the accuracy of the announcements.) Having said this, most are accurate and useful.

TTTT is a free service of Top Dot Enterprises, Copyright (c) 2004, 2005, Top Dot Enterprises.

Dean Martineau
Top Dot Enterprises
2219 Rucker Ave #204
Everett WA 98201