[vietnameseblindtechinfo] Fw: Internet and Technology News Microsoft To Incorporate Anti-Spyware Application Into Vista

  • From: "Vy Pham" <thaovyngu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vietnamese blind technology" <vietnameseblindtechinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:47:57 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Parker" <parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Internet News" <inter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 1:50 PM
Subject: Internet and Technology News Microsoft To Incorporate Anti-Spyware Application Into Vista

Ryan Naraine - eWEEK Sat Nov 5,11:22 AM ET Microsoft Corp.'s Windows
AntiSpyware
technology has been renamed "Windows Defender" and has been expanded to
detect and
remove rootkits, keystroke loggers and other forms of malware.
The revamped application will be bundled into the Windows Vista operating
system,
but users will be free to choose a competing spyware protection product from
a redesigned
Windows Security Center.
Jason Garms, group program manager for Microsoft's anti-malware technology
team,
made the announcement in a that also included confirmation that rootkit
detection
will be fitted into the product.
As previously reported, Microsoft will use rootkit detection technology from
its
Strider Ghostbuster research project.
Strider Ghostbuster is a prototype tool developed by Microsoft's
Cybersecurity and
Systems Management Research Group.
"Our solution has really been about more than just the standard definition
of spyware,"
Garms said.
"We've always said we will provide visibility and control, as well as
protection,
detection and removal from other potentially unwanted software, including
rootkits,
keystroke loggers and more."
"Making the engineering change from 'Windows AntiSpyware' to 'Windows
Defender' took
a lot of careful coordination across our team to ensure that the strings in
the UI
got changed, the help files all got updated, registry keys, file names and
properties,
as well as a couple of images all got changed," Garms said.
The revamped product will be fitted with a new user interface and a
significant change
to the way malware signature updates are delivered.
"The engine is now moved to a system service, and signatures are delivered
over Windows
Update. The detection mechanisms have also been radically improved by
applying to
spyware threats all the great detection technology we use in our anti-virus
engine,"
Garms added.
Although the changes are being geared for Windows Vista, Garms said the
enhancements
will also be available to existing users via a software refresh.
In Vista, users will be allowed to disable or turn off Windows Defender and
install
a third-party anti-spyware application.
The Vista Security Center will also be able to detect if an anti-spyware
application
such as Windows Defender is running and operating normally.
Check out eWEEK.com's for the latest security news, reviews and analysis.
And for
insights on security coverage around the Web, take a look at eWEEK.com
Security Center
Editor

We supply this information  as a service and do
not endorse it or recommend any action being taken based upon it.  Any
decisions taken, by the subscriber, are entirely your own responsibility.
This is an announce only list.  All replies will go only to the list
moderator.
To unsubscribe from this list, press Enter on the link below.  A
pre-addressed message will pop up, simply send it.
If you wish to recommend this list to a friend, send the following link to
them.
mailto:inter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe
We hope that you're enjoying this list.
www.accessible-devices.com