[vietnameseblindtechinfo] Fw: BlindNews: Developer of accessible washer and dryer speaks atconference

  • From: "Vy Pham" <thaovyngu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vietnamese blind technology" <vietnameseblindtechinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:42:25 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leon Gilbert" <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: BlindNews: Developer of accessible washer and dryer speaks atconference

The State News, Michigan
Thursday, November 03, 2005

Developer of accessible washer and dryer speaks at conference

By MAGGIE LILLIS

Michael Hudson is very attached to the washer and dryer in his home.
Not only does he use them often, but Hudson - who is blind - helped adapt the appliances to be more accessible to his needs.

"I don't benefit from things that are only visual, I need audio," said Hudson, who is also the director of MSU's Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, or RCPD. "It was tremendous help."

The washer and dyer Duet machine was an electrical engineering class project last year, sponsored by the machines' maker, Whirlpool. The new product looks and performs the same operations as any washer and dryer but is complimented with an audio component.

As part of World Usability Day, which aims to raise awareness about how to engineer technology that is more accessible, Hudson spoke at a conference in the Union on Thursday.

For more on this story, please see Friday's edition of The State News.

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=32897

-- BlindNews mailing list

Archived at: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind/

Address message to list by sending mail to: BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx