[vicsireland] Re: braille labels etc.

  • From: "GERARD SHANAHAN" <gershan@xxxxxx>
  • To: "maria" <maria.pileidi@xxxxxxxxx>, <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:53:29 +0100

Hi Maria,

No need to apoligise.  The reason I mentioned the architect paper is that it is
on a4 sheets and is clear adhesive backed plastic and can be useful for more
durable items that might come into contact with water.  Actually,I think that
N.C.B.I.  have something similar.  As regards you mentioning making labels by
brailling on the a4  sheet, you can buy small cheap scalpuls in the chemist
shop or stationers I think which would mean that if you only want to write one
label on the a4 sheet, you could take out the sheet and using a ruler or such
like run the blade along the edge.  Don't worry, it has a little handle but
more importantly, I think that there is a cover on the blade when you aren't
using it. Volunteers at our local talking newspaper use them to cut the printed
articles out of the papers when editing for the material to be read.

As regards your problem of getting an important receipt wet,  The best
suggestion I can make is something like a sandwich bag which you can purchase
in most grocery stores:  centra, Tesco, Dunnes.  They are sold in packets of
multiples and each sandwich bag has a air tight zip which makes it waterproof.
The reason this produc would be so convenient is that not only would you be
able to print off your origional order, fold it and add the receipt as it would
hold both.  Also I use them for holding medication. Just pop in the bottles or
droplets of eye meds and a tissue or cotton pads etc and pop the bag in my
pocket.  Similarly, next time you are in your local chemist shop ask about the
clip ceal bags in different sizes which they have for medication.  they might
give you a few for nothing.  As regards the sansa plus, yes, it is very good
from what I saw on the specifications and best of all it is accessible.
Importantly, if you listen to the radio or in the bank, keep an eye on the
exchange rate for u.s. dollar and Euro.  Presently, it is dropping from 1.30 to
1.22 per euro so the sansa plus will be dearer but hopefully if the ecomonic
situation changes in the next few months it will become cheaper again. As I
mentioned., the digital recorder I purchased in Aldi is easy to operate and
battery life is forever.  The quality of the w.m.a. recordings is fabulous even
in a social situation.  Well accustomed to using the old audio cassette note
taker, I find it great because the digital recorder doesn't die in the middle
of a recording as it is not hard on batteries like the cassette version.    As
a matter of conversation,  What is your general feeling to such hollywood
productions as "Fiddler on the roof or Dr Schevago" Do you cringe like many
Irish people when "Darby O'Gill and the little people"
is shown on T.V.  As Russia covers  a Large area, what part are you from?   And
to ask an Irish question, #what do you think of our climate, is it much
different to what you were accustomed to?  As Russia in general is a country
which we in Ireland think of as having an extreme climate either hot or minus
zero cold, did you ever get the opportunity to snow ski?  In recent years I
took it up and with the aid of a guide make my way around the slopes of
Austria.  I accept, I'm not a great skier and it takes a while for the
instructions to sink in but the esxperience was fabulous and it is something
which I look forward to hopefully doing again. take care, best regards Gerry