[vicsireland] Re: accessibility wording for an RFT

  • From: Mark Magennis <Mark.magennis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:31:43 +0100

Hi Michael,

I would recommend you use the Accessible IT Procurement Toolkit which was
developed by CFIT for the NDA Centre for Excellence in Universal Design for
exactly this purpose.

http://www.universaldesign.ie/useandapply/ict/itprocurementtoolkit

The toolkit takes you through the whole procurement process from the RFT
onwards, describing what to do at each stage to ensure accessibility. The
section of interest to you right now is 'Writing an RFT'. This provides
suggested text that you can cut and paste into your RFT. It has been used by
other public bodies in other RFTs. I would recommend you use all the portions
of suggested text because they all deal with different aspects of the tender
and the work. Those under the headings 'Universal Design experience', 'General
accessibility targets', 'Development process' and 'Quality assurance' are all
important for stating general requirements. Then there are specific suggested
texts for specific technologies. In your case, you should include the suggested
text for websites. If you expect to receive training for staff who will operate
or maintain the content of the system, you should also include the suggested
text under 'Training'. And if you are going to require an independe
 nt third party accessibility evaluation, commissioned by the supplier or by
the department, you should include the text under 'Evaluation of deliverables'.

To make it clear to tenderers what you require in terms of accessibility and to
help ensure that you get an accessible solution, you need to be as detailed and
specific as possible about what you want. The procurement toolkit will help you
achieve this.

Mark

On 18 Apr 2012, at 15:35, Michael Lavin wrote:

> Hello VICS List Members
>
> I have been asked if I could come up with some accessibility wording
> for an RFT for an online event system.
>
> I have something like “It is the Department's policy to ensure that,
> as far as is practicable, its publications and information materials
> are accessible
> to people with disabilities and the selected service provider will be
> expected to have a good awareness of best practice in that regard”.
>
> And then in specification of requirements ask the tenderers to
> demonstrate how their solution adhere to accessibility best practices.
>
> Does any of you know or have you come across any standard or generally
> accepted wording that is used for asking system vendors to adhere to
> accessibility best practice?
>

> Any help would be gratefully accepted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
> To contact the moderator send mail to:
>
> tim.j.culhane@xxxxxxxxx
>
> For mor information on the Visually Impaired Computer Society visit:
>
> http://www.vicsireland.org

Look up our spectacular Euro 2012 competitions on www.give2get.ie
Follow us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ncbiworkingforpeoplewithsightloss
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ncbi_sightloss

Check-out NCBI's Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh appeal on the following link.
http://youtu.be/25P2tiuCi0U

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company
limited by guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).

represent the views of NCBI