[vicsireland] Re: Official launch of Irish Language screen reading solution

  • From: RobbieS <robbiesin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:20:58 +0000

Hi Ronan & all,

Of course, eSpeak.ga has been up and running excellently since last
year or 2013. It is already built into NVDA when when NVDA is
installed…you just need to go through the language options to get it.
eSpeak.ga also has an Irish language locale (unlike Abair, to my
knowledge).

If text is tagged correctly (by a programmer or author), NVDA will
read English words in English and Irish words in Irish, which is
useful in reading a dictionary, for instance. I know aAbair is
working to try to do this also, but I don’t know that it’s there yet.

In my opinion, the eSpeak.ga sounds much clearer than any of the Abair
dialects, and I’m not sure that that is a problem that can easily be
overcome.

The potential advantage of Abair is its choice of dialects, although
this brings a whole raft of problems of its own. Dept. of Education
bizarre policy is that students outside of the Gaeltacht must know all
three main dialects – a theory which is far removed from the practice.
At least Abair will be able to help with this (in theory, at least).

Officially, there has never been a Standard spoken Irish, although
many aspects of Munster Irish had a deep influence on Irish spoken
outside the Gaeltacht areas. eSpeak.ga is based on this unofficial
standard, the vernacular which is predominant throughout the country
(including in schools).

Choice is welcome, and ease-of-use and intelligibility is the
barometer of usefulness. eSpeak.ga is well ahead in this regard – and
no small thanks to Ronan for that.

I’d love to be at the Abair launch event (another one indeed), but
unfortunately, am snowed under with work.

Enjoy if you’re going,

Robbie

On 10/27/15, GERARD SHANAHAN <gershan@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Ronan,

Congratulations to you and the team on achieving your goal, I'm sure any
contact you might make with the Féach association, the family organisation
of families with vip children or students would apppreciate the work you hav

done in facilitating the study of Irish.
Well done!!
Gerry
From: "Abair.ie (TCD)" <abair@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:49:07 +0100
Subject: *CUIREADH* ...ó ABAIR
To: abair@xxxxxx

*A Chairde,*

*[image: Inline images 1]*

*Ba mhór agamsa agus ag foireann ABAIR sibh a bheith i láthair
ag lainseáil oifigiúil www.abair.ie <http://www.abair.ie/>, ag a seolfar:*

*- glór Chorca Dhuibhne, *

*- léitheoir scáileáin do na daill le haschur Braille,*
*- CabairE (áis litearthachta don Ghaeilge - leagan béite).*

*Beidh an ócáid ar siúl Déardaoin, 29ú Deireadh Fómhair 2015 ar 5pm in *

*Svuít Rathcoole, An tIonad Fóillíochta, Óstán Citywest, Baile Átha Cliath
*

*mar chuid d'Oireachtas na Gaeilge. *

*Fáilte roimh chách! *

*Táimid ag tnúth le bualadh libh ann.*

*With ABAIR's team, I would like to invite you to the launch of the next
phase of www.abair.ie <http://www.abair.ie/>, which includes:*

*- a Kerry Irish voice,*

*- a screenreader for the blind with Braille output,*

*- the literacy aid CabairE (beta version).*

*(See: **http://www.abair.tcd.ie/cuireadh/english.html
<http://www.abair.tcd.ie/cuireadh/english.html>**)*

*The launch will take place on Thursday 29th October at 5pm in *

*the Rathcoole Suite, Leisure Centre, Citywest Hotel, Dublin *

*d**uring the Oireachtas na Gaeilge week. *

*All are welcome! We look forward to meeting you there.*

*Beir bua,*

*Ailbhe Ní Chasaide*

*An tSaotharlann Foghraíochta agus Urlabhra, *

*Coláiste na Tríonóide, *

*Baile Átha Cliath 2*

*01-8961348*
message.