[vicsireland] Dublin DART Underground

  • From: "Gerry Ellis" <gerry.ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 21:33:22 -0000

Hi,

Hopefully the moderator won't deem this out of order. I reckon that
transport affects every aspect of life, including how we get to and from
work, education and leisure activities; and technology is increasingly
becoming an issue in all of these.

As one who made a written submission to An Bórd Pleanalla in relation to the
DART Underground and who was invited to make an oral submission, I was today
sent the decision. We all know that funding has been pulled for the project,
but I suppose they considered that so much time and money had been put into
the review that they should publish their decision anyway. There is also
plenty of time allowed for the economy to pick up and for the work to take
place.

The decision was basically to allow the project go ahead, but with many
provisions. Here is one that we are interested in:

Accessibility

1.      The platforms in all stations shall be designed to optimise ease of
access between carriage and platform for mobility impaired passengers,
within the constraints of the proposed heavy rail system employed.

                Reason:  In the interest of facilitating access to the DART
Underground system for all rail users.

What exactly does this mean? Your guess is as good as mine. I would rather
have seen some specifications as to the maximum vertical and horozontal gaps
allowed,  but it is better that something is specified here as a provision
than if it were not.

Take care,

Gerry ellis

If you don't know where you're going,