[vibug-support] Research Study Seeks Participants

  • From: "Jerry" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vibug-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:13:21 -0500

(I'm forwarding this by request. Please don't reply to me with questions
about the study.)

Dear Participant,

You are asked to participate in a research study, entitled PERCEPT,
conducted by Prof. Aura Ganz, from the Electrical and Computer Engineering
department at University of Massachusetts Amherst. PERCEPT is an indoor
navigation system for the blind and visually impaired aimed at providing
orientation in unfamiliar indoor environments. PERCEPT has been successfully
piloted at the Arlington Subway Station within the MBTA where blind and
visually impaired subjects were able to use the PERCEPT smartphone app to
independently navigate from different entrances to subway platforms and exit
the station.

We are seeking participants into the study at Carroll Center for the Blind
to help us test and improve the current PERCEPT system. Participants should
be:

. at least 18 years or older,

. visually impaired and should not have any further complications that
restrict physical or mental ability,

. received some degree of orientation and mobility training,

. unfamiliar with the layout of the Carroll Center for the Blind main
building,

. have working experience with Voiceover accessibility feature on iPhone

If you are interested in participating the study or have additional
questions please contact the PERCEPT trial coordinator James Schafer through
email at schafer@xxxxxxxxx or by phone at 978-855-3743.

More details on the PERCEPT trial can be found in the following Letter of
Advertisement from Professor Aura Ganz below.

Letter of Advertisement

Subject: Test PERCEPT system that facilitates navigation of blind or
visually impaired people inside an unfamiliar indoor environment

From: Prof. Aura Ganz, ECE Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Dear Participant,

You are asked to participate in a research study, entitled PERCEPT,
conducted by Prof. Aura Ganz, from the Electrical and Computer Engineering
department at University of Massachusetts Amherst.

We are seeking volunteers that are 18 or older and are visually impaired.
Volunteers should not have any further complication restricting physical or
mental ability. Also, they should have received some degree of orientation
and mobility training.

The overall goal of this project is to design PERCEPT systems that will help
blind and visually impaired people to navigate through public buildings
independently and reach their destination as accurately and as quickly as
possible. We are currently enrolling 20 participants into the study who will
help us test and improve the current PERCEPT system.

If you volunteer to participate in this study, you will be asked to travel
to Carroll Center for the Blind in Newton Massachusetts. You can withdraw
from the study at any time without prejudice.

You will receive orientation regarding the use of PERCEPT system which
includes an application running on a phone (provided) and PERCEPT tags
deployed at landmarks in Carroll Center for the Blind building. Landmarks
include entrances, rooms, restrooms, elevators. You can find the tags on
landmark signage (e.g. on office door signage). You will be asked to find
specific rooms/suites/restrooms/entrances in Carroll Center building using
the phone and PERCEPT tags deployed in the building. At the end of the trial
you will be asked to answer an interviewer conducted survey on your
experience using PERCEPT system.

The total duration of each visit is estimated to take at most 2 hours.

We will video tape the visit if you provide your consent.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How will my privacy be protected?

Only people who have been approved by the Office for the Protection of
Research Subjects at UMass will be allowed to see the information you give
us. The video will be kept for up to 6 months after the end of the grant.
Only summarized data will be used to discuss the results of the study (in
publications or presentations of research results). When information is
summarized it is impossible to tell who it came from and you cannot be
identified.

All the information we collect will be kept private according to federal
government privacy policies. It will be stored in locked files in our
offices. Electronic data will be password protected and accessible only to
research staff. We will link the information we receive from your responses
to your personal identity through an ID code number. Your name and personal
information will not be contained in the same dataset as the collected study
data.

What are my rights?

Your participation is voluntary. You can leave the study at any time. You
may also tell us we cannot use and disclose your personal health information
(revoke your authorization).

Does it cost anything to be in the study?

There are no charges or costs to you.

Will I receive any payment for taking part in this study?

You will receive $20 cash compensation at the end of the trial.

Are there any risks from being in the study?

Minimal risk or discomfort is expected. All participants will (with
consent) be shadowed during each of the trials to insure safety at all
times. The main risk in this study is the potential loss of privacy. We
will do our utmost to ensure confidentiality. We will assign each
participant a number. The list matching names and numbers will be kept in a
locked file at UMass. The file cabinet will have limited accessibility to
members of the evaluation team only. All tracking and survey data will be
secured with a password and will be restricted to only authorized staff.

What are the benefits of the study?

In terms of benefits, you will be exposed to state-of-the-art technology
developed at UMASS that will facilitate navigation of visually impaired
people in an unfamiliar indoor environment. Your participation will help
us advance the technology being tested to provide mobility assistance to the
visually impaired.

Whom do I call if I have questions or problems?

If you have any questions about your rights as a participant or if you
decide to leave the study or revoke your authorization, please contact the
Principal Investigator:

Dr. Aura Ganz

ECE Department

Knowles Engineering Building 309F

University of Massachusetts

Amherst, MA 01003

Any data collected and acted upon before your withdrawal will be used as
necessary to maintain the integrity of the research.

All protocols and documents related to this study have been approved by the
Office of Human Subjects Review at UMass.

Jerry Berrier

president@xxxxxxxxx

508-735-4420

http://www.vibug.org