[vi-kindle] Re: Some Thoughts on the New Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin

  • From: Loy <loyrg2845@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:27:41 -0400

With the QT app install the download and archive is called a tree view , with out the app it announces it as a list box. I have a little sight is the reason I can find the library button, but you can ope the library list view under go.

On 7/27/2012 3:20 PM, Craig Werner wrote:
Thank you for your insights, Loy.

I am also using Window-Eyes, and I believe the latest version has all of the QT app features built into the software, rendering the app unnecessary. If you stop the QT app, will Kindle for PC with Accessibility run as well as it does with the app installed?

How did you discover that the "Library" button pops up a tree view? I can get around the screen, but I don't know if I'm in a tree view or some other Windows control since Kindle for PC takes me far away from understanding the relationship among the different elements of the screen.

I'll experiment with the "Find" command. Thanks for letting us know it works.

Craig

On 7/27/2012 9:13 AM, Loy wrote:
I am fairly new using Kindle for PC with Accessible plug in. but with
Window Eyes you need to have the QT app installed. The search command
works here but the home and archive command does not work.
but if you click the library button there is a tree view on the left
side of the screen that has downloads, and archived buttons. While in
the tree view "D" will display the downloaded items and "A" will list
the archived items.  Also, if you click on an archived item it will
download and open the book after a few seconds.
There is a tree view of document navigation, but I can't figure out how
to navigate the navigation pane. Hope this might help a little.
On 7/27/2012 12:24 AM, Craig Werner wrote:
Greetings, everyone.

It appears that there is no "Archived Items" command anymore. In the
"Go To" menu, the "Home" and "Archived" commands have been replaced by
the "Library" command.  This means that there is no longer a way of
displaying only the items on the home page.  All of the items are
spoken.  Actually, my sighted wife tells me the screen contains
downloaded items, all items, and archived items, but these cannot
easily be distinguished from each other.  If one highlights an item
and goes to the "File" menu, an already downloaded item will have the
"Download" option disabled.  If one goes to an archived item and then
to the "File" menu, the "remove from device" item will be disabled
since we're dealing with an archived item.  This scenario will take
some getting used to. Unfortunately, the "Help" file hasn't kept apace
with these changes.  It still mentions the "Home" and "Archive"
commands of "Control-alt-H" and "Control-alt-A," which don't seem to
work anymore.

I'm not sure, but I think the "search" command of "Control-F" is
broken in the new version.  I can't search for text and pull up
matches as I could in the older version.

I hope a user who has been able to download the new version will chime
in with her/his thoughts.  Maybe my software is misbehaving, or maybe
I have misunderstood the new look.  All in all, though, I'm rather
disappointed that the help file and the actual command structure are
out of synch.  If the "Search" command is really broken, this is a
major disappointment.

I'm sorry for the rather unclear syntax.  It's late, and I'm not
functioning well.  I wanted to get some thoughts down in the hopes of
possibly helping others.  I hope I haven't confused folks instead.Craig