(VICT) questions from a friend about her guide dog

  • From: "Mona Ramouni" <mramouni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:21:22 -0500

Hi everyone,
I'm writing on behalf of a friend who hasn't yet joined this list. She has a
dog from Pilot, and although her dog is really obedient, there are a few issues
Cynthia, my riend, is having trouble resolving.
First, Peggy, her guide, likes to lunge after other dogs, not aggressibely, but
like she wants to play. She also likes to lunge at cars when she thinks she's
going to get a ride. Well, Cynthia doesn't want to have to fight with Peggy on
this and is considering returning Peggy to Pilot, but of course, she loves her
and wants to keep her.
So she's trying a bit of clicker training, like getting Peggy to sit when
there's a car around that Peggy thinks is a possible ride. She tried that today
and didn't have a problem.
Another issue Cynthia has is that on the way home from work each day, Peggy
pulls a great deal, to the point where Cynthia is nervous because she's afraid
of falling and hurting herself. Since she fell and broke her ankle once with
her last dog, she's pretty leery about this. I tried to give her a technique on
slowing Peggy. It's what Dolores showed me to slow Cali. I would slide my hand
up the leash until I'm almost touching Cali, apply some pressure, and when Cali
slowed enough, I'd click and treat. Cynthia is trying this but says Peggy isn't
slowing down enough. Might any of you have advice? Cynthia has about three to
five weeks to work on this before she has to decide for certain whether to
return Peggy to Pilot.
Thanks so much for any of your thoughts. It would be wonderful if you could
email Cynthia directly at
cvegil01@xxxxxxxxxxx
Take care, and stay safe.
Mona