(VICT) Tamara- Progress

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:49:51 -0700

Tamara I was reading your post that shared how much Mitsy has grown up. It
was really neat to see that and I could feel the excitement in it from your
standpoint.
It is so interesting how both Thane and Mitsy improved on LLW/ Heeling when
they were given the opportunity to be casual when they could and not
required to be all prim and proper all of the time.
The month before losing Met, our walks became just that- casual walks where
I used the guide cane and Met sniffed out the world and just was all laid
back. When I saw what it did for him, I promised myself that my successor
would always have a leisure time or place to just be a dog and not ahve to
be constantly on top of my needs. His need to let his hair down so to speak,
would be just as important. The difference since I remembered this and began
doing it ahs been awesome in Thane's training just as it appears it has been
in Mitsy's ability to work for you.
I think the fact that you are seeing all these positives, all the things
that help Mitsy improve as a guide show that you are a good handler. You may
still need the time to feel in sinc with her movements and to follow her
precision, but you are doing a great job.
Cyber chocolates for you...
I know being a good handler and feeling like yo uare a good handler are two
very different things as well. Everyone told me I was a good handler with
Met, but honestly it took a long time for me to get past the *knowing* part
and into the *feeling* part where Met and I really danced together as a
team. I'm not really sure when it happened precisely. But when it did it was
like music.
With Thane, I know I am a good trainer- I feel it, but as a handler I am not
past that know into the feel spot just yet.
It too wil lcome with more practice and experience. The more you work
together and trust your dog, the better things will flow together and you
will feel like one unit working together.

Karyn and Thane (GDIT, HDIT)
http://www.pawsitively-k9.com