(VICT) Re: Vet Ideas

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:34:50 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2008 3:54:10 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Once  targeting is understood, perhaps you can do some hand targeting games

One of the things I did with Alex was a lot of hand touches.. While  it
worked wonderfully, I ended up with a dog who would nose nudge peoples and
lick
their hands.. coming from a shepherd a lot of people thought she was going  to
bite... I am going to emphasize hand touches a lot less and see how it goes..
I think I may do chin touches instead.. right now we are working on recalls
and  loose leash walking. we are getting about 50 feet of heeling in a
distraction  free environment. We are also working on targeting, both hand and
object
targeting with his nose, mat targeting with his feet, hand shakes for nail
trims, getting dressed ( collar on) , sits, settles, and unders. He is coming
along nicely for having only been here a week. For the vet I want to work on
stand-stays, teeth exams, ear exams and maybe roll-over on his back, as well as
 a mat cue on a raised surface for the scale and the exam table.. .. I want
to  have his hips checked and If he can get really solid on this they may not
need  to sedate him for them. This list is dauntingly long right now..grin...
it will  come, it will come... chuckle.

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-
_http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/_
(http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.