(VICT) Re: Dog Distraction, Tension, Sniffing People and Heavy Machinery

  • From: Christy Hill <care4k9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:41:22 -0700

    Donna,

         I take rather different approaches to things and will just put it out
there for you to think about and see that it works for you.

          Having been a former correctional based trainer from the late 80's
and early 90's I had a long transformation to switch over to clicker in the mid
90s and finally dedicated to all positive methods in the late 90's. It isn't
something you can just jump over the fense and you have change. For me and many
other people, it is a mind transformation. Getting you to think and approach
trianing in a different thinking process way. Using correction is also a muscle
memory that I had to developed and when changing over, I had to change my
muscle memory.

          I recently went to a Bob Bailey seminar. I had been to the chicken
camps 12 years ago, but two weekends ago having the refresher was wonderful.
One of the thigns that Bob stresses to do, where many people blow it off, is
practice the movements of your training. Training is a mechanical skill. Thnk
about what you are going to do first and plan. This is very difficult for me to
do, but when I do my training comes out much better.

          What you can do with the distraction is work on distraction in a less
distracting environment. Add distractions slowly and build up to the point of
going on the street. Are you by any chance near Nina Bondirenko? Ifyou can some
how hook up with her, she would be fabulous to show you skills that will really
put you on the right track. She's awesome. The only other person I know in the
UK probably lives quite a distance from you, so I'm limited in who I know in
the UK. But try to hook up with Nina. She will definately set you on the right
track.

Christy

Christy Hill
(Obedience - New)