(VICT) Re: Any Ideas

  • From: metnme2 <metnme2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vi-Clicker <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donna
I would like to comment on the first thing you
mentioned- how Jack always goes busy even if he
already did in the pen.
For Met excercise stimulates the need to go. When he
was younger especially and we went for busy walks he
would actually do two big busy jobs. One initially and
one after we had walked some. I just learned to give
him a second chance to go as well. Now it does not
happen often but he does give me signals when it is
needed. I know most with guide dogs remove the harness
before they go busy of any kind but I do not. I never
could go through all of that. That is one joy of owner
training- I can do that how I need to.
Met used to pull really weak- pathetic honestly but
when he wanted something he would pull faster and that
is where the clicking and praise began to become
common place. That was at the beginning of the clicker
years for me and so I did things the way I felt would
work and just clicked and praised. Met is a dog that
praise says 10 million words. It worked for us whereas
treats just really distracted him so that is how I did
that part of things when he was younger.
If you are looking for Rox'E who has Millie and gracy
and retired Bristol she has not been on this list
since moving back to New Orleans. She is sporatically
on bviclicker training on yahoo with Julie.
Congratulations on Jack btw even if you are not sure
he is the dog for you. Its great to hear you have
another guide. I really dread the passing of the baton
to Met to a successor. I think I will always want it
to be Met even though I know that is unrealistic...
but he is my first service dog so I think it makes
perfect sense.

Karyn and Met