(VICT) OT: Mini-Guide

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:38:03 -0800

Sorry  for the delay here- I accidentally replied from the wrong account...

Diane- I am reading online so don't have individual email addresses to write
off list. If you are in the USA the single button model is a lot cheaper and
still does the same things. The double button model is a lot more expensive
I got mine here:
http://www.senderogroup.com/
this website gives the link on APH for the two button model.
It came really quickly for me from Sendero.
I don't know how it happened but I lost my scanned instructions- GRRRRR but
I pretty much know what I needed so will redo them later...

Sandy-
I will try and remember to update the list when I begin to use it in
conjunction with Thane. Right now I wanted it to reduce how much I have to
move the cane with this bad arm and also for the deaf issues with traffic
and aspects in stores. I can see it being effective for times when he is
distracted which happens in green teams as I am sure you are aware. I never
worked another breed but I suspect the herding guides take longer to work
free of the distractibility. I don't want to discourage his interests too
much in the world around him since I also am training him as a hearing dog.
Its a balancing act, but I did it with Met so I am sure we can do it again.
It will not recognize drop offs but Thane already is finding curbs pretty
well and discovered I could not get up on a curb he climbed up so he climbed
down to walk in the street with me. Its different when your blind in a
wheelchair training your dog. Ambulatory people can put the cane in one hand
and the dog in the other- I think this is one aspect that is slowing down
our work in leash training honestly but we will get there (no advice needed-
just figuring out what works and what does not Smile)
Right now though I won't even try to use it with Thane as trying to
negotiate the wheelchair control, cane and Thane.... Enough already Smile

Karyn and Thane