[vi-android] Re: question about editing.

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:52:26 +1100

Hi Michael,

When you say you are trying to edit a text message, have you already sent
the message?  If so, you won't be able to edit it, though you should still
be able to change the reading granularity.

If it's a message you are still writing then what you are doing should
work.  Here's what I did:
- Opened a text message I'd received, confirmed I could open the menu
(slide up then right) and change granularity to word or character or
whichever.
- Replied to the message and typed a couple of words.
- Opened the menu again (up then right) and this time it only gives you two
options "Cursor control" and "change granularity" - you need to select
"Change granularity" then you can choose default, character, word, line etc.

Now one thing I find really helpful (but what works for one doesn't always
work for others) is setting your keyboard to use the volume keys as
arrows.  The Google keyboard and Samsung keyboards don't have this feature
but my favourite keyboard to use with Talkback, Jelly Bean Keyboard, does
and it means you can use the up and down volume keys to navigate through
text you are writing while the keyboard is active.  It does mean you can't
change the volume easily while you are writing is the main drawback.

There is a free version of the keyboard here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jlsoft.inputmethod.latin.jelly.free&hl=en
and a paid version which costs a couple of dollars here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jlsoft.inputmethod.latin.jelly.pro&hl=en

Otherwise let us know how you go as you should be able to change
granularity and edit messages as you were expecting to.

Regards

Quentin.