[vi-android] Re: Fixed unsubscribed users again

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 20:09:39 +1000

Hi Chris,

Nothing top secret - actually I don't need to know much more than you to setup and admin the list, freelists is very well setup in that regard. Freelists seems to use Ecartis mailing list software - I haven't setup many different list types so don't know a lot about the different server side software.

Re the issue of people being unsubscribed, Freelists say the problem is mostly Yahoo which keep changing their setup - I noticed a message from Sagar just now which had the from stating "Sagar (Redacted user for DMARC)" - when I looked that up it seems Yahoo recently changed their mail server to mark anything which is listed as from a yahoo account but which was not sent directly from a yahoo server (eg if you send the message via your ISP's mail server, which most ISPs make you do when using a mail client rather than the web interface) then it marks the message as redacted (which means "edited" so to be honest I'm not 100% of the meaning in this context) and apparently ask receiving servers to reject the message. Freelists and many other lists, specifically now do not reject the message, as that is the kind of thing which was causing problems earlier.

Outlook.com, msn.com, and a few other domains were also being rejected earlier and I'm not sure if that was for similar reasons.

In any case, I've now set the list to set users to 'vacation' mode after 10 errors, rather than unsubscribing after 2 which was the default setting - so if it does happen again I should be able to easily see and fix the affected users hopefully.

Regards

Quentin.

On 4/05/2014 10:11 AM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
Qwentin,

I don't mean to pry, and perhaps this is server sided stuff you don't want to discuss for security reasons, but keeping things very general, what does Freelists use for the listser? Do they use Mailman? Based on things I've seen with the list info page, the way you subscribe, etc. I'm wanting to think, yes. They do.

I just ask as I wonder why this issue keeps occurring. I wonder if freelists.org have applied the heart bleed patch to their server, as if not, then there really isn't anything we can do until they do.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>