[dropbox] Prototype #44, Net Pirate Number Station

  • From: jerome joy <joy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veille@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:35:41 -0800

April 15, 2004
Turbulence Commission: "Prototype #44, Net Pirate Number Station" by Yoshi
Sodeoka
http://turbulence.org/works/sodeoka/

"Prototype #44, Net Pirate Number Station" is essentially a short-wave
radio "number" station broadcasting over the internet. Enter and you will
hear random web-generated number sequences read aloud by prerecorded video
host personalities. Calming and trancelike--in a droning and vaguely
threatening way--"Prototype #44" was inspired by the many "Spy Numbers
Stations" that sprang up in intelligence communities around the globe
during the 1960s. They still exist.

"We are proud to take our place in this community, amorphous as it may be.
Interactivity has been kept to a minimum. Users are encouraged to enjoy
themselves. Welcome to our station."

"Prototype #44, Net Pirate Number Station" is a 2003 commission of New
Radio and Performing Arts, Inc. (aka Ether-Ore), for its Turbulence web
site. It was made possible with funds from The Greenwall Foundation.

BIOGRAPHY

Yoshi Sodeoka is an artist, designer and musician who has been producing
both art and commercial projects for over a decade. His interactive digital
artwork has been featured on numerous CD-ROMs and web sites and in
exhibitions at the San Francisco MoMA, the Whitney Museum of American Art,
the Design Museum, Germany and Art & Design Museum Brazil. In addition,
Sodeoka has lectured widely on the topic of digital design and has juried
design awards for PDN magazine and the One Club. He was a contributing
writer for Artbyte magazine for which he wrote a bi-monthly column about
underground digital culture.

Sodeoka was formerly the founding art director of Word.com, one of the
Web's oldest and most influential e-zines, which launched in 1995.
Sodeoka's designs for Word won awards from I.D. Magazine and Print, among
others. He holds a degree in computer graphics from Brooklyn's Pratt
Institute and studied art in his native Japan from the age of five.

For more information about Turbulence, please visit http://turbulence.org
---