[vdug] Re: Bound controls or not?

  • From: DCreelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: vdug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:50:06 +1000

I would avoid them for reasons of separation, but that might not be such a
big issue if the application is small.

... I haven't used data aware controls for about 2 years now, all objects
and messages.

It's true that sometimes you can't do all of the things you can do with
unbound controls, but it depends on whether you need those features or
not.

Cheers
DAVID CREELMAN
Senior Software Engineer
Cochlear Limited
14 Mars Road
Lane Cove NSW 2066
Australia

Ph. 61 2 9428 6243
Fx: 61 2 9428 6287
Email: dcreelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.cochlear.com

"Vivienne Awford" <ivl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: vdug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
22/08/2002 11:39 PM
Please respond to vdug

        To:     <vdug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [vdug] Bound controls or not?

Is this still an issue?  In the old days, bound controls were thought to
cause problems by issuing table-level locks instead of row-level locks,
and
there is (was) added "flexibility" with unbound controls.  But have
RDBMSs,
and Delphi itself moved on enough for performance considerations to take a
real back-seat such that unbound controls are just a productivity
nightmare?

Look forward to your feedback?.
Vivienne

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is
unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please notify us by return email and delete the original message."