[vav] Re: Book Making Workshop on Vashon Island Sept. 26-27

  • From: Shady Lady Interiors <sherry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:32:13 -0700

Hi Claudia,

I would love to do this workshop, but I think I am going to be out of town. I have my school weekend this weekend through Monday, then I'm making plans for a vacation. I'll let you know if I'm here, and if there is still room I would love to take this workshop.

I've missed seeing you!

Sherry

On Sep 12, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Hollander-Lucas wrote:

Hi everyone – this is an exciting opportunity to work with a world class bookmaker, Suzanne Moore, here on Vashon Island

Book Arts Basics and Beyond
Saturday, September 26 (9am to 5pm) and Sunday, September 27 (10am to5pm)

Claudia Hollander - Lucas’  studio on
Vashon Island, WA.     (directions will be sent)

Cost is $135. This includes most materials. Fee is due at time of registration, limited to 8 students, and two additional participants on a waiting list. Suzanne Moore will facilitate a two-day workshop on essential techniques of book construction. In this "Bookie Boot Camp" we will discuss and apply the principles of adhesive selection and use, paper cutting, scoring, folding and laminating, covering boards with paper and cloth, as well as hinging and tipping of pages. These concepts and techniques will be applied in the creation of an accordion book, a portfolio, and a multiple-folio book. The session is packed with information and processes, and you will take away great examples of structures you can alter and adapt to future work. It will also serve you well as a foundation for future book- making. Material costs are included in the class fee, and all materials will be pre-cut for use in making the three structures. Participants should have good hand skills, and a friendly attitude toward cutting tools. No previous experience is necessary. All pre- cut materials will be supplied to make the three structures.

Tools to bring:

small break-off knife
large triangle** (minimum of 8” on one side; metal if you have one, and the larger the better)
straight-edge**
 bone folder**
12 x 20” (approx) cutting mat** (mat board piece is fine)
**- marked tools are a bit of an investment, and Suzanne can bring some tools for use to class. Contact Suzanne for tools at: home/studio: 567-5480 or scarletandmaeve@xxxxxxxxx (feel free to call/write with questions about the class)

Bring a  lunch (we will take a 1/2 hour lunch break)
 Only if you have them and are so inclined, feel free to bring:
decorative cover papers you might want to use/incorporate (flexible, non-watercolor papers work best) specific materials you might want to use and questions about their appropriate use in a technique.

To register, please complete and return this form with your check (sorry we have no way of taking credit cards or debit cards) .

Make checks payable to:

Francesca Fuller 29821 131st Ave SW Vashon WA 98070 email: gato122@xxxxxxxxxxxxx