[vav] 4th Paradigm & vav list

  • From: Viv Ilo Veith <vashonfrogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:39:12 -0700

As you all know, I had to migrate this list to a new host: Freelists.org. As such there is a little bit of a learning curve. I think I have it all set up correctly now, but that is why you received a few vacation messages from Marian's computer. (Interestingly this problem of her out of office reply replying to all list mail took place on other lists more than a week ago. I am not sure why it just hit ours yesterday.)

The problem of setup is also why you were receiving emails that you thought were "misdirected". The list is now set up so that when you hit Reply it will go back to the person that sent the email, and Reply All will go to both that person and the whole list.

The 4th Paradigm is a a book that Marian has been working on; doing the layout and graphics. I will let her explain more if she wants but the main gist is: Due to the new "super computers" research has made a paradigm shift. Information can be processed and analyzed at a much faster rate. There can be a tremendous amount of collaboration between researchers worldwide. Data from numerous studies worldwide can be uploaded into central super computers. Because of this we are discovering and understanding things at an ever faster rate.

So there you have my layman's explanation. The book is actually a collection of essays on the topic by noted scientific researchers. I believe the book is being produced by Microsoft Press.

Since the 4th Paradigm is not very art related further questions about it should be directed to Marian or me. Give Marian a little room to breath though since she is returning today from three weeks away.

Viv Ilo

On Sep 20, 2009, at 8:03 PM, Hollander-Lucas wrote:

Just curious…what is the 4th paradigm?

Hope you had a restful vacation!
Best,
Claudia