[Vancouver GIS UG] Vancouver GIS Users Group: site visit next Wednesday

  • From: Doug Hrynyk <doug.hrynyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vangisug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vangisug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 20:49:31 -0700

Hello everyone,

At last month's event we had several requests for copies of Andrew Durnin's
presentation about the District of North Vancouver's GEOweb Property Viewer.
There is now a link in the past speakers section to Andrew's PowerPoint
presentation.

For January we have arranged a site visit to The Sawmill studio to participate
in a demonstration of Wavesine Solutions' virtual reality technology applied to
GIS visualization.

(Do not go to the offices of the Geological Survey of Canada.)

The announcement below contains a link to The Sawmill's web site, which in turn
contains a link to Google Map.  In addition, the announcement on our web site
includes an orthophoto from Google Earth marked up to show the correct door and
available parking.

For most transit users the best route will be to take the Canada Line to the SW
Marine Drive station.  From there, Wavesine and we are arranging to ferry
people by car the six blocks to the Sawmill.  If you wish to ride rather than
walk from the station, wait at the bottom of the stairs at the SW Marine Drive
station.

I look forward to seeing you all there next week.

Regards,

Doug HrynykSteering Committee CoordinatorVancouver GIS Users Group

___________________________________
Date: January 14, 2014

Time: 5:30

Topic: Demonstration of Wavesine’s Virtual Reality
technology.

Speaker: David Clement, Wavesine Solutions Inc.

Wavesine and
Geosim would like to invite the local GIS community to come and experience
virtual Vancouver
at the Sawmill (http://thesawmill.ca)
and to lead a discussion on how such systems could potentially be used in
GIS.  The event would consist of a brief presentation followed by each of
the participants experiencing the city in a VR headset followed by refreshments
and an open forum for discussion and socialization.

We hope you can
join us and look forward to meeting you all soon.

Bio: David Clement has over 30 years of experience in the
IT industry focusing on visualisation and interpretation of complex
information.  David has been at the forefront of real time computer
graphics systems since his pioneering work on virtual television sets at the
BBC in the early nineties and founded Wavesine Solutions Inc. to develop
wireless virtual reality systems.  David has been working closely with
Geosim, a company specializing in creating very high resolution scans of cities
including Vancouver, and has developed a VR
based system that allows participants to view virtual Vancouver in a natural in
engaging way.