[va-richmond-general] Where are the Purple Finches

  • From: "Zwicky, Eric" <ezwicky2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 02:04:34 -0500

Hi all,

We lived in Southside Richmond from '89 to '99, and in the Museum District for several years before that, then we moved out of state. In both houses, I used to see a lot of Purple Finches in addition to House Finches and Goldfinches. We just moved back to the same Southside neighborhood last summer, and I am not seeing Purple Finches.

I have a large tube feeder with shelled and unshelled sunflower seeds, a platform feeder with same, a thistle feeder, and a couple of suet feeders.

Is this just a quirk, or are there fewer Purple Finches this winter?

Thanks,

Eric Zwicky
Woodland Heights
RVa
You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to
va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject
field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,