[va-richmond-general] Re: Times-Dispatch Sparrow? or Finch?

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RAS Listserv'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:18:14 -0400

Jim,

According to the Cornell website, the House Sparrow is an Old World Sparrow
(Passeridae). That's a separate family from Finches and Allies (Fringillidae),
and also from New World Sparrows (Emberidizae). All of these are Passeriformes
(Perching Birds). So it is a sparrow but not in the same family as American
sparrows. Also, males in their breeding plumage are easy to ID but females or
non-breeding males can sometimes be a little difficult.

Al Warfield