[va-richmond-general] Team Birdzerk Report II

  • From: Naseem Reza <nreza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jmcgurl@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:41:20 -0400

Dear Richmond Birders:

Continuing with the Birdathon, Team Birdzerk received a good tip from
Arun Bose and went to the Pipeline Heron Rookery to pick up a few more
species before calling it a day. We saw many Ospreys, both Vulture
species, Great Egrets, many Rough-winged Swallows and a single Barn
Swallow but the stars were the Great Blue Herons actively hunting for
fish to feed their growing chicks.

I was still hobbled by the light weight lens but the Great Blue is so
large that despite the lens I was able to document the capture of a
rather large Hickory Shad.

Our total count for the half day was 60 species and a lot of fun.

Naseem Reza

Naseem Reza