[va-richmond-general] Team Birdzerk Report

  • From: Naseem Reza <nreza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jmcgurl@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 00:03:23 -0400

Dear Richmond Birders:

Team Birdzerk spent Saturday May 7th looking for birds to raise money
for the Richmond Audubon Society. Team members included Al Warfield,
Linda Warfield, John McGurl, Louise Reza and yours truly. Al was
designated the group leader since he had the sole possession of the
spotting scope and also got to carry it.

Al and Linda picked up Lou and me at our house in their brand new fire
engine red Prius and we hooked up with John at Bandy Field. Not
wanting to affect the gas mileage for the Prius, we packed lightly and
left behind my long lenses for bird photography. After all the object
of the outing was to see as many bird species as possible and collect
from our sponsors.

At Bandy Field we saw the usual culprits (birds and dogs) but nothing
worth taking a picture. I did bring along my camera and a light weight
lens I use primarily for taking butterfly pictures.

Next stop was the James River Park at 42nd Street where we ran into
Arun Bose leading an RAS bird walk. The main attraction for most of us
was a recently fledged Red-tailed Hawk monitoring the Ralroad Crossing
at Reedy Creek. The poor hawk was mobbed by RAS photographers and a
very fiesty male Orchard Oriole. It eventtally flew up to higher perch
on a dead tree limb and sufferered the added indiginity of being
attacked by a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

I was not planning to take bird pictures but I must admit that I
joined the fray and took some Hawk photos and also some other critters
at the Park. I am not posting our species count at this juncture
because we still have a few hours to go and Linda may go Owling in the
wee hours to add to our count.

Happy Mother's Day!

Naseem Reza