[va-richmond-general] Spring Bird in our Yard

  • From: Caroline Coe <cccoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:14:06 -0400

The birds in the yard are fantastic!

We've had the First of Season (FOS) Northern Parula and American Redstart this weekend. The Ruby-throated Hummingbird arrived earlier in the week. We always have American Goldfinches, but there numbers have grown and we see and hear several dozen in the tree tops and at all of our feeders (and many stop to drink from the pond).

The winter birds are still here: 2+ dozen White-throated Sparrows, several Pine Siskins, a few Yellow-rumped Warblers. A Purple Finch is eating lots of sunflower seeds and 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets passed through this morning.

And the locals are busy too. A bluebird pair has 3 young in the nest that are close to fledging; the chickadees have a nest with quite vocal young in a nest box cavity that John created from a bamboo section hung under the eaves; the titmice are nesting out front in a box that hasn't' been used for a couple years and last housed a family of nuthatches; and the nest box across the street that has been used often in past years sits empty so far. The Red-shouldered Hawks and Barred Owls are nesting down by the creek so we hear them often.

Our ear is not quite calibrated and tuned for spring, but it does tell us when there's something NEW out there.

Caroline & John Coe
Chesterfield County