[va-richmond-general] Prothonotary Warblers on the james

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audubon listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:24:18 -0400

Last Sunday Linda & I paddled the Varina Lions Club annual canoeathon that
started at Rockett's Landing and ended 10 mile down river at Osborne Landing.
We almost continuously heard Prothonotary Warblers calling during the whole
trip, which started at 9 AM and ended around 11:30 AM-12 Noon. We saw no boxes
on that portion of the river. So, we figured they are nesting in natural
cavities. I'm sure some folks know that out there, but we weren't sure. Now we
are. It's my guess that the VCU program and the one that Bob Reilly runs are at
least partially responsible for that. The Lower James River IBA is well named!

Al Warfield