[va-richmond-general] Prothonotary Warbler Project at Dutch Gap

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 00:46:28 -0400

The 9th year of the Prothonotary Warbler Breeding Project at Dutch Gap is in full swing. While the pattern of clutch initiation and fledging is a few days later than last year, the volume promises to equal or surpass it. Thus far we've captured 93 adults, 75 of which were banded at the site in previous years. One returned female is eights year old, tying the species longevity record, and is thus a migration veteran of eight 5000+ mile round trips to Central/South America. Over half of these return breeders were born in project nest boxes. We have banded 103 Prothonotary nestlings thus far this year and expect many more. Most of the of the 160 boxes contain` nestlings, eggs, or nests under construction. In addition to Prothonotaries, project boxes fledged about 15 chickadee broods this year. Much more to come!

Best,
Bob Reilly