[va-richmond-general] Powell's Creek Float Saturday 15 Sept. 2007- ANHINGA

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:36:59 +0000

A spectacular float yesterday morning with the James River Association as 10 paddlers launched into Powell's Creek and paddled a few miles to the mouth of the James overlooking Westover Plantation. It was a welcome relief to have low humidity and cloudless, blue skies. Lots of  migrating birds, jumping fish and beautiful butterflies and marsh flowers. Our biggest surprise was 3 separate looks at an Anhinga-2 times soaring and circling us and one long look as it perched in a Cypress. Hard to say if it was the same individual we observed each time. Thanks to Cyrus Brame and Heather Murdoch from Fish and Wildlife and the James River Association for a wonderful paddle.

Here's a few highlights:

Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Bald Eagle
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Belted-Kingfisher
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Hairy Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
White-eyed Vireo
Chimney Swift
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
...and many of the usual woodland suspects.

Super day!
Julie Kacmarcik
Field Trips
Richmond Audubon