[va-richmond-general] Opening Day Dutch Gap-MAPS banding 30 May 2010

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sue Dudley <DudleyS@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sarah Hierholzer <hierholzers@xxxxxxxxx>, waterouzel82@xxxxxxxxx, Mark Kacmarcik <Mark.Kacmarcik@xxxxxxxxxxx>, hardhindsa@xxxxxxxxx, michael kacmarcik <michael.kacmarcik@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 13:59:52 +0000 (UTC)

Opened the nets Sunday morning just before sunrise and closed about 1230. Young Barred Owls called with there raspy voices as we unfurled the nets. As is typical for Dutch Gap-most of the action was at the end of the day. Beautiful day but high humidity. Our total number of birds netted was 36 with 18 recaps from previous season(s). Caught many of the usual suspects and also a few surprises. 11 of our recaps were adult Prothonotary warblers providing more data for the current study. This was also the unveiling of our Banding Shelter an Eagle Scout Project extraoridinaire constructed by Owen Wilson and Troop 922 of Chester. An awesome addition to our "digs."

Here's the tally for the day and a few images.

Summer Tanager
Yellow-throated warbler
Carolina Wren 4 and 5 recaps
Downy Woodpecker 2 and 1 recap
Prothonotary warbler  11 recaps (* 1 banded in 2004 and 1 in 2006)
Northern Cardinal 2 and 1 recap
Common Grackle 3 and 1 escapee before banding
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Indigo Bunting 2

Julie Kacmarcik and the MAPS team
Chester

ps. we didn't band the turtle or Barred Owl-but couldn't resist sending the photos...the Owl is bent over looking at me as I am looking at him!