[va-richmond-general] Migrants galore at 42nd Street!

  • From: David Bryan <dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:50:06 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I had perhaps the best day EVER of my young birding career this morning at
42nd Street. The morning was fairly normal until I ran into an unusual call
(for me). I tracked down the bird and it turned out to be a Magnolia
Warbler, a life bird for me. Soon thereafter I ran into a HUGE flock of
Cedar Waxwings and after noticing some different calls from the flock I
found the following birds amidst the Waxwings. I tried my best not to
double-count: 2 Chesnut-sided Warblers (life bird), 2 American Redstarts, 2
Red-eyed Vireos, 2 Black-and-white Warblers, at least one Blackpoll, a
mini-flock of Chickadees, and I believe one Prothonotary from a quick bottom
view. The rest of the morning was also good, including both Tanager species
(did not see Scarlet, only heard very briefly), both Oriole species, Wood
Thrush, and a Warbling Vireo. I ended up with 45 species and 5 life birds :)
Yeah!

The only bird I couldn't ID was a sandpiper species out on the rocks in the
James. There were 3 or 4 working together, but they were too far away to see
any plumage details - even with binoculars. Any ideas on the species?

A beautiful day of creation!

All the best,

-David

Location:     James River Park--42nd St
Observation date:     5/12/10
Notes:     Many of the warblers were mixed in with a huge flock of Cedar
Waxwings.
Number of species:     44

Canada Goose     28
Mallard     6